Tuesday 7 February 2012

Cauliflower Gratin AKA Shepherds Pie - Recipe

INGREDIENTS
1 head cauliflower, roughly chopped
1 tbsp skim milk
1/2 lb extra lean ground beef or a turkey meat and ground beef mixture
Salt n peppa
1 large yellow onion, sliced
Carrots
1 tsp parsley

Boil the cauliflower until very soft, mash it with the milk. You don't have to add milk, I just find it makes my 'mashed potatoes' a little more mashed.

Cook the meat and onions together, season well. I usually cook extra meat so I have some to put in my meals during the week.

Cook carrots and slice.

Put in pot like a shepherds pie, cook for 20 minutes at 350.

I got the original idea and recipe for this from the Cauliflower Gratin recipe in the Dukan book. Since I cannot find any ff cheese anywhere (other than the sliced-processed kind) I layered it as such and when I realised it tasted exactly like Shepherds Pie... well... a new favorite recipe was born!

I have gotten friends who aren't even dieting to try this and they have switched from potatoes to cauliflower, eating less starchy foods and getting healthier!

xo
 

6 comments:

  1. I love shepherd's pie and was thinking of making some like this. won't be the same without peas, but i'll survive. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there, I have just discovered your blog and it is amazing. You are inspiring so may people myself included. I know this may be a silly questions but through out your blog i have noticed items that i through were not allowed. I justed wanted to check in Phase 2 can i have cauilflower? Also can i have pork and lamb or is that a phase 3 food.??

    Thanks again for what you are doing. AMAZING

    ELA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you can have cauliflower, it's in the list of 100 foods you can eat as described in Dr Dukans book.

      You can't have lamb, I believe you can't even in phase 3. You can have lean cuts of pork. I learned this when I was in phase 3 and had eaten pork chops (not a lean cut of pork) the entire diet. Oops.

      Thank you so much, you are a sweetie. :) I hope this answers your questions! Keep 'em coming.

      Delete
  3. Just discovered your site and I'm preparing to start the diet in a week. The information is very helpful, and I'm bookmarking your recipes.

    What about carrots? I thought I read they weren't allowed because of too much sugar? (I've ordered the book but it hasn't arrived so sorry if this is answered there.)

    Mo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carrots are allowed just not every day and not in huge quantities. They are full of sugar. :)

      Delete
  4. The shepherd's pie recipe is a true comfort food delight. Its hearty combination of savoury meat Set Web Server vegetables, and creamy mashed potatoes creates a delicious and satisfying meal.

    ReplyDelete